We are deeply committed to providing enriching employment opportunities through a variety of formal internship programs and collaborative relationships with our local community and government partners, schools, and colleges. For more than twenty years, we have provided summer jobs, work experience and exposure to careers in the utility industry for hundreds of students and early career professionals in a variety of fields, including engineering, water resources and management, finance, human resources and information technology. An internship can be a first job or a stepping stone that provides exposure and helps identify opportunities for a future career path.
- COLLEGE (& POST-GRADUATE) INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS
We provide government-based internship opportunities for college students, recent graduates and graduate students through a variety of programs and employment opportunities coordinated through the City and County of San Francisco
SKILLED-TRADES APPRENTICESHIP (& PRE-APPRENTICE) TRAINING
We work in partnership with unions, the City and County of San Francisco, and other stakeholders to support apprenticeships and pre-apprentice training programs in the skilled trades. These programs are critical to ensuring a skilled and reliable workforce for SFPUC operations and infrastructure development.
- WORK EXPERIENCE PROGRAMS
We provide a variety of work experience opportunities for high school and college students, as well as young adults and adults. These programs are offered in partnership with public, private, non-profit, and education institutions to raise awareness about SFPUC-related careers and to help people from our local communities develop valuable work skills and experience.
Our mentors are committed to providing a rich and rewarding learning experience within their specific areas of expertise, with the following objectives:
- Interns will develop an understanding of our mission, vision and values, including insight into our strategic sustainability plan which addresses local, regional and national level infrastructure and resource issues and goals
- Acquire professional experience and exposure to important issues regarding departmental operations, legislative and governmental affairs, business strategies and leading edge technology solutions
- Interact with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including senior staff and highly qualified experts in the field of utility and enterprise business management
Program Application and Selection Process
Internship opportunities are very competitive and our departments typically screen applications of interns based on the specific knowledge, skills and abilities of students who may have a strong interest and/or background in their respective areas. The selection of interns is typically based on a review of eligibility and department requirements, oral interview scores, academic history, and supplemental essays by a hiring committee. Interns are matched with a specific department and mentor where they will have the opportunity to participate on significant projects or work assignments.
Internships for College and Graduate Students
Our college internships are paid internships offered during the summer and throughout the school year to provide professional career opportunities, develop research and communication skills and help shape future interests and career goals. Our internships provide professional work-related experience for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing careers in diverse occupational fields such as Engineering, Contract Administration, Security, Finance, Governmental and External Affairs, Water Resource Planning, Human Resources, Information Technology, and Water, Wastewater and Power administration. The types of duties vary and may include administrative, technical and/or professional activities.
“I’ve done internships in Utah, Arkansas, and Texas, but none have provided the variety I’ve gotten from the SFPUC. It’s pretty awesome.” - James, Junior Engineer, Engineering Management Bureau
Internships for Recent Graduates and Early Career Professionals
- 1649 Accountant Intern - Citywide structured on-the-job and classroom training program for entry level accountants to learn and apply generally accepted accounting principles, and City policies and procedures in governmental accounting and auditing work. Appointments provide a pathway to journey level positions. Recruitment is open on an intermittent basis depending on operational needs.
- 5201 Junior Engineer Positions - Positions available for recent engineering graduates in the areas of Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Sanitary that provide entry level experience and a pathway to promotional opportunities through the professional Engineering series. Recruitment is open on an intermittent basis depending upon operational needs.
- San Francisco Fellows - The City and County of San Francisco is pleased to announce the development of the San Francisco Fellows Program. The mission of the program is to foster community stewardship by preparing recent college graduates for leadership roles in public service. Applications are currently being accepted for the first cohort for Fiscal Year 2016-17.
Skilled -Trades Apprenticeship (& Pre-Apprentice) Training
Formal Apprenticeships/Pre-Apprentice Opportunities
- 7339 Apprentice Stationary Engineer, Water Treatment Plan - Four-year apprentice program to learn about the operation, repair and maintenance of various machinery and equipment through diversified experience and on-the-job training, with related instruction to become fully skilled in the craft and qualified for proper certification issued by the California State Health Department. Recruitment is open on an intermittent basis, depending upon operational needs. See our apprenticeship brochure.
- 7375 Apprentice Stationary Engineer, Sewer Treatment Plant - Four year apprentice program to learn about the operation and maintenance of various machinery and equipment through diversified experience and on-the-job training, with related instruction to become fully skilled in the craft and qualified for proper certification issued by the California State Health Department. Recruitment is open on an intermittent basis, depending upon operational needs. See our apprenticeship brochure.
- 7463 Utility Plumber Apprentice - Four year apprentice program to learn about the operation, repair and maintenance of water mains, pipes, meters, fire hydrants, gates and valves under the direct supervision of a journey level utility program as part of a recognized program of the United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry.
- 9910 Stationary Engineer Pre-Apprentice Program – On-the-job wastewater treatment plant training opportunity for residents who live in the Southeast sector of San Francisco. Opportunities are offered on an intermittent basis as positions becomes available.
- CityBuild Academy – Community based construction pre-apprentice program for SF residents
Work Experience Programs
We partner with several governmental agencies and non-profit organizations to provide meaningful utility-related paid employment opportunities in support of our mission and sustainability goals. The programs, in collaboration with our sponsors, provide learning opportunities to acquire work-related skills, and explore public sector as a future career goal.
- Project Pull – Paid summer internships at SFPUC and other City departments for San Francisco high school students
- Youthworks – Paid after-school and summer internships at SFPUC or other City departments for San Francisco high school students
CityWorks (SSIP Internship Program) - Paid summer internships for high school students from San Francisco’s southeast neighborhoods. Starting after their junior year in high school this program provides students with structured internship opportunities every summer either at the SFPUC or with one of the private engineering firms working on our Sewer System Internship Program. For more info contact Young Community Developers (415) 822-3491
- College-Sponsored Internship Programs: San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) Internships - SFPUC partners with SFUSD to provide a variety of internships to high school students referred from the school district.
For more information contact:
- San Francisco Conservation Corps – Paid employment training and education program for young adults interested in watershed conservation and natural resources management
- The Garden Project Earth Stewards Program – Paid summer work experience program for San Francisco high school students (applications available at local San Francisco police precincts)
- Project Learning - real-world, project-based, work and learning experiences for youth and young adults provided through partnerships with dozens of community organizations
Learn more about our good neighbor efforts in workforce development partnerships here.
See the exciting opportunities available at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. We'd love to have you on board!
Join us to meet our employees and hear about upcoming opportunities.
A collaborative of water and wastewater utilities working together to promote careers in the industry.
View the list of upcoming exams and recruitments.